December 21, 2011

A Beginning.


Titled: "It is better to Look Up." Acrylic paint on Paper. 7"x10".

This is my submission for the Orem Institute of Religion's art contest. The requirements were to take a one-liner from any article from the LDS general conference. I chose "It is better to Look Up". This piece is my first creation with any sort of message, let alone a religious one. Usually, I create narrative pieces, most often with characters interacting, rather than something with a message to be interpreted.

Although it is the end of the year, a time traditionally saved for closing off, tying up, and sending out, I am ending the year with starting a blog. I already got my tumblr up, after having deleted it because I was putting way too much time into it. Mostly, with time that was supposed to be spent on doing homework, or other important things.

I used to think that blogging was for bored housewives with nothing else to do. But I'm not a housewife, nor am I bored. 


I'm an artist. I create. And apparently, that means I must blog. At least... according to my teacher, Will Terry. But as I've become more involved with my peers, my fellow artists, this is something that has become very, very apparent.

So here I am. Blogging. Something that I used to have a genuine disdain for.

For an artist, I think a blog is essential. Will sums it up pretty good in his seven reasons. So I will let this blog be my journal, my network, part of my job and one day, hopefully, a source of income. For all those reading, I hope you enjoy my artwork, my writing blurbs and my rambling.

Merry Christmas, internet. Olivia has arrived.